Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Grandpa Blacklock

so my grandpa has been having some health issues lately. and this really isn't too big of a surprise. i mean he's been having them for a while. doesn't everyone when they get old? but that kinda brings me to my point. here my grandpa is over 80 years old and facing cancer for not the first time. his hearing is failing. his eyesight is poor. but he is still one of the smartest, wisest, and most content people i know. even though he may not be able to hear every word you say, he listens intently and tries his best to fully understand what you're saying, because he genuinely cares about people. he may seem slow at first glance, but he's quick to tease you and make subtle jokes. he and my grandma have been married over 50 years and still love each other to pieces. they care for one another in every way they are capable. even after raising four kids, my grandpa still has enough energy to love on his grandkids and now his great-granddaughter. his kids, who are all great parents and authority figures themselves, still submit to the authority of their father, because they acknowledge his wisdom and experience and see how he continues to submit to his ultimate authority, God.

so what's the point? well i guess looking at my grandpa, i see a man at the end of his life with a legacy that can already be seen. i see a closely knit family that is tied together because of this man. i see a community that will prejudge me to have positive personality traits solely based on their experiences with my grandpa. his legacy is a one of love, honor, care, compassion, respect, and wisdom. and even in the face of cancer and heart disease, his doctors estimate another 10-15 years to continue working on that legacy!

(prayer) God i pray that my life can even come close to the amazing example given to me by my grandpa. i pray that my legacy begins today in everything i do. and ultimately, God, i pray that my legacy and every quality people see in me always point to You in an obvious way. walk with me and guide me. give me the strength and courage to live a life without regret. (amen)

No comments: